Creating an awesome design, product and experience is hard work. Making the RIGHT design, product or experience is even harder. The smartest teams first figure out the “What” before they decide the “How”.
Whether you’re designing a new product or experience, or improving an existing one, you have to first figure out What you’re making before you can effectively execute the How.
Defining and agreeing on What you’re doing first gives everyone much better clarity to focus on executing How to get it done.
read more… “Why The Best Design and Product Teams Decide What, Then How”
iA002 episode highlights:
- The technology stack that we built Aurelius with and how it’s evolved over time
- Understanding common development terms to better communicate design ideas
- An inside look at how Joseph and Zack make decisions about the product and the company
- Behind the scenes views and opinions on making technology upgrades and feature prioritizations
- How we build Aurelius like Wyatt Earp
First who, then what. That’s the popular mantra to building massively successful and long-lasting companies. The same is true for crafting beautifully designed products and experiences. You may look to tools and processes for the secret to building a great product and user experience but in the end, the secret is people. Knowing who you are designing and building for and having a team who cares about helping those people will give you the greatest chance of success.
Photo by Avel Chuklanov on Unsplash
read more… “People Are the Secret to Great Products”
Episode 20 highlights:
- What does a high functioning design team look like and how are they organized?
- The three types of successful enterprise UX organization models
- How companies like Target, Spotify, Netflix, Google and more are doing designops and great UX design at scale
- Creating and sharing user research findings across your organization
read more… “Aurelius Podcast: Episode 20 with Aarron Walter on UX Organization Models, DesignOps and User Research”
In our very first episode of Inside Aurelius, we discuss a number of topics with highlights including:
- Why we made Aurelius v2 and how we got there
- How we used user research and customer feedback to completely re-design and re-develop our product and company focus
- UX design, science and art
- How Joseph, our CTO took an interest in UX as a developer and how UX can enrich a developers work and satisfaction
- How and why developers should participate and have a stake in user research
Don’t freak out, but just hear me out. It’s very likely that you don’t need more user research but rather, you need to be getting more out of the user research you already did.
Spending more quality time with the data and insights you collect is one of the biggest challenges in our industry, particularly if you’re already doing user research regularly. Think about it, when was the last time you honestly felt that you spent enough time really analyzing and synthesizing (read…”figuring out what you learned) from the data and information you gathered from a research study?
read more… “You Don’t Need More User Research”
Episode 18 highlights:
- How user research directly applies to making businesses more successful
- Doing customer research to inform pricing strategy
- Figuring out what is most valuable to your customers
- Using customer research to develop buyer personas
- How you’re probably doing surveys wrong and how to fix that
- Helping people understand what you learned from user research and put it to use
- Potential pitfalls of building and using personas and how you can avoid them
read more… “Aurelius Podcast: Episode 18 with Patrick Campbell on Customer Development, User Research for Pricing and Using Data for Better Decisions”
Episode 12 highlights:
- Tomer Sharon’s version of a user research repository tool at WeWork, Polaris
- Tomer Sharon on Democratizing UX
- What is user research
- Research nuggets and key insights, what they are and how to create them
- How to do user research the right way
- What questions can user research answer
- Difference between finding out what customer want vs what they need
read more… “Aurelius Podcast: Episode 12 with Tomer Sharon on Polaris from WeWork, UX Nuggets and Key Insights and ResearchOps”
Episode 11 highlights:
- Why understanding a business model is critical for designers
- Using design to do more than make a great interface or a sexy advertisement
- Humanizing business and letting design/design thinking drive how business gets done
- What OKRs are, where they’re used and how to do them
- How Christina has used OKRs for both business and her own life
- Embracing business metrics as designers
- How you can be more innovative than Steve Jobs
Tools and techniques for looking at your customer feedback and research insights to get beyond your assumptions
read more… “Aurelius Podcast: Episode 11 with Christina Wodtke on OKRs and User Research”
Episode 3 highlights:
- What is design strategy? What is product strategy?
- Effective design strategy methods and approach
- Where business strategy ends and design strategy begins and the difference between the two
- Where design fits into business strategy
- How design can help you monetize failure
- Ways that design and product strategy can drive business strategy
- Practical ways design can help fulfill your company mission
read more… “Aurelius Podcast: Episode 3 with Fred Beecher on Design Strategy”